Well...here we are. My last post and last Self-Love Saturday of the year. I woke up at 3:00 this morning because it felt like my heart was going to explode from all the gratitude that's currently surging through it. A couple of months ago, I wrote a SLS post about focusing on the good things, and that's exactly what I had been doing before I went to sleep last night: meditating on all the good and all I've learned in 2011. I said yesterday that it was a painful year, but I've come out of the pain a more wholehearted person than I was before encountering it. I've learned an incredible amount about myself, motherhood, blogging, faith, and just people in general.
I think it's only fitting that I spend the last day of the year and my last Self-Love Saturday celebrating the good and allowing this surge of gratitude I feel just take over. Resolutions, goals, and aspirations for the New Year can only be built upon the foundation we've laid during the previous one...and I'd like to think that I'm going into 2012 with a strong one!
SO. What brings about this swell of gratitude? Well in 2011 I....
- graduated with an Associates in Liberal Arts & Communications in May
- received treatment for my PPD & Anxiety
- was accepted to a 4 year University (in 2010 I was rejected from 2)
- found Postpartum Progress
- found an overwhelmingly amazing community of women & bloggers I consider my friends (Hello #PPDChat Army & Band Back Together!)
- accepted Wordpress' "Post a Day" Challenge-I didn't write every single day all the time, but I came pretty close!
- MOVED OUT OF NEW JERSEY!
- survived my first semester at PBU
- accomplished 4 things off of my Life List
- Saw my cousin perform a tribute to Prince in NYC
- was introduced to Brene Brown's work, the concepts of owning your story, and wholehearted living
- was diagnosed with rapid cycling Bipolar Disorder II....which led me down the right path to effective treatment and medications. I'm not as close to managing it as I'd like, but I'm FAR better than I was just 6 months ago.
- finally found a psychiatrist and therapists who I love and work well with
- received my first kiss from Alex
- laugh more
- cry less
- am able to actually play with my boys instead of being afraid or unable to be around them
- established a solid support group of friends online & "in real life"
- started Dance Party Fridays and the journey toward self-acceptance & healthy body image
- Fell in love with YOGA!
- Learned that I adore all things colorfully bright & bold
- bought my ticket to my FIRST EVER blogging conference, BlogHer12 in NYC. (CAN'T WAIT!!!!)
- found out that I'm more of a science geek than I thought (Thank you Dr. Gossard!)
- started painting
- Fell in love with pastels & sketching
- Signed up for NaNoWriMo and OWNED IT....knocking out 50,000 words of my first book :)
- talked with Katherine Stone, Karen Walrond, and Joy Tanksley- 3 women I admire immensely!
- had my "busiest" blogging day ever: August 26, 2011 with 145 views!
- was recognized as one of the top 20 Writers on Postpartum Depression by Postpartum Progress & community
- was nominated for WeGoHealth's "Best Kept Secret Health Activist" Award! (EEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG! OMG! OMG! I'm so honored-I don't even care if I win, seriously..such a great list of nominees!)
and that's just scratching surface! So many good and wonderful things have happened in spite of the difficult places I found myself in, and if I had been in those difficult places, I wouldn't have met all of you!
Seriously. Every single one of you who take the time to read about my life here on 'Confessions has made an impact on my life this year, and I'm just thankful and appreciative that you stop by here. All of your comments have helped me get through the hard stuff, and it means the world to me. Life gets busy, trust me, I know...so the fact that you take the time to read and comment is incredible to me.
To all the bloggers I've met this year: you are the most beautiful & strong women I've ever met in my 29 years. Thank you for embracing me, laughing with me, sending me hugs over WiFi, dancing with me, and sharing writing space with me! Thank you Jaime & Susan for gracing 'Confessions with your awesome insight and writing skills by guest posting (and for "hanging out" with me on Google +!)....and thank you Kim, Lauren, & Katherine for walking with me during some of my darkest moments and helping me fight.
To my ex: We aren't together and as hard as that has been to accept before, I do now and I know it's for the best. We are both healthier for it. Thank you for continuing to be a friend to me, in a capacity that is healthiest for you.
So...there you have it folks. Thank you 2011. You've taught me well and I am grateful for what you brought my way these 12 months. I'm happy to say I feel strong enough to embrace what's on the horizon in 2012...I have a feeling it's going to be good, y'all. So take some time and think about the good things today...and spend the last day of the year being kind to yourself...
WE MADE IT!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
you know you want to....go ahead....Dance with me!